"Unsurprisingly, not a single employee volunteered to retrieve the corpse of their cocooned colleague."
- Spider Bud
Spider Bud (T-02-43) is an arachnid stated to be mother Abnormality. She is described as an enormous spider with numerous red eyes in her encyclopedia entries, although her actual in-game appearance is closer to a dark sack with several red eyes of varying sizes. She hangs from the ceiling in a dark corner, and doesn't seem to possess any legs visibly attached to her main body. Instead, her legs seem to come from the ceiling, only seen when grabbing an employee. In her containment room, spiderlings are crawling on the floor.
Spider Bud's special ability triggers when an employee finishes a task and has Level 1 in the Wisdom stat, or performs Insight work. The employee will kill the spiderlings, enraging her. Spider Bud will then descend from the ceiling and face the employee, capturing them in her web and wrapping them into a cocoon. They will be considered dead. Cocoons boost her energy production, and the more cocoons there are, the more energy will be produced.
The details of her origin are currently unknown, but seem like she was living in a dark forest, shown in her full artwork; before the corporation captured her.
Details EditSpider Bud responds to the four works in order of best to worst: Instinct, Attachment, Repression, and Insight.
Like all Abnormalities, her energy output is determined by the number of PE Boxes (Positive Enkephalin boxes) at the end of the interaction.
Spider Bud's emotional state is divided into 2 sections, bad and normal. Completing 0-6 E Boxes will cause her to feel distressed and completing 7-14 will cause her to feel normal. Her usual waiting time after a task is around 10 seconds.
Unlockable Information/Upgrades Edit
Basic Information (Cost: 12 PE Boxes)
Unlocks and shows the name of the Abnormality, subject classification, Risk Level (TETH), portrait, Damage Type (Red 2 - 3), the amount of E-Boxes (12) and their emotional state.
Instinct/Insight/Attachment/Repression List of Field Works (Cost: 4 PE Boxes)
Unlocks the percentage level list to the respective work.
Managerial Works 1/2/3 (Cost: 4 PE Boxes)
- "Managerial Works 1"
- "Employees with prudence level 1 kill baby spiders in the containment chamber. Spider Bud turn an employee that killed her baby into a cocoon."
- "Managerial Works 2"
- "DO NOT INSIGHT WORK TO HER.
In a mere instant, Spider Bud cocooned <name> employee who was cleaning the containment room."
- "DO NOT INSIGHT WORK TO HER.
- "Managerial Works 3"
- "Fixing a Spider Bud's cocoon produces its own energy. As the number of cocoon increased, more energy was generated."
Escape Information (Cost: 12 PE Boxes)
Information if the Abnormality can escape or not. "Non Escaped Object"
Observation Level Edit
Level 1 (1 Section unlocked): Success Rate +4%
Level 2 (2 Sections unlocked): Speed Rate +6
Unlocks an E.G.O. Trait, which increase the Success Rate and Work Speed by 2. Has the appearance of a pair of big black glasses and has a 5% of being equipped to an employee after finishing a work with the Abnormality.
Additionally, unlocks the Armor 'Red Eyes'.
Level 3 (3 Sections unlocked): Success Rate +6%
Unlocks the Weapon 'Red Eyes'.
Level 4 (All details unlocked): Speed Rate +4
- "Unidentified wires were entangled to each other in the ceiling. We could not see the Abnormality with naked eyes its was too dark because the power went out."
- "Proud employee <name> went into to abnormality's cell. When <they> turned the flashlight on, we could see baby spiders crawling away from the light."
- "When the employee smashed one of the spiders, a horrendous thing happened. Giant spider with many eyes decended from the ceiling, looking at him. It was a blink of an eye. He was snatched up by it. The spider delightfully wrapped him around with its web. Hanging up on the ceiling, he will be a food for babies."
- "Nobody volunteered to bring his corpse back. It seems the spider does not jump on female employees. It just stares at her for few seconds and disappears into the ceiling. Thus, it is unwise to send male employees to the containment room."
- "Excerpts from an encyclopedia, Red Eye Venom Spider article: Not many know this, preys inside of cocoons die slowly to keep them fresh. Especially, Red Eye Venom Spider's venom causes heart disease that stays even when venom's been removed. Preys wait for their end, listening to their heartbeat slowing day by day."
- "<Excerpts from the letter> We read the article. However, we must inform you that the racial similarity between the Abnormality in question and Red Eye Venom Spider is hardly backed up by valid evidence. Also, our engineers discovered that energy production increases by X% when captured employee is present in the containment room. Thus, following your argument, 'When a cocoon inside of the containment room is identified as one of the employees, rescue operation must be launched', is impossible. However, to respect your opinion, we promise that research on the Abnormality "Brood Mother" will be conducted more thoroughly. Agitating the base's personnel with unidentified myth is punishable by article 00 of the corporation's rule, we advise you to be careful. Lobotomy always works for the best of our people, we will always listen to you. Thank you. - Head of the welfare department"
- "A grotesque rumor prevails among our employees. It's not strange to have a rumor or two in this place but it got interesting when witnesses started to show up. It goes like this, 'Whispering voice is heard from the containment room in the night.' 'The voice was <name>'s, who went missing few days ago.' 'Saying things like 'it's too dark and scary here, help me! Help me!"
Flavour Text Edit
- "Spider Bud wants foods for the winter. Her babies are always hungry."
- "The containment room itself is a giant web. From the moment an employee sets a foot inside, she will watch the prey."
- "Wires on the ceiling seems to gotten longer, employee <name> saw one of them moving."
- "Spiders have strong maternal love. They will go through any kind of sacrifice to protect younglings."
- "<Name> never looks at the ceiling during the work to assure not to make any eye contact with her."
- "<Name> never forgets to shake the uniform to knock baby spiders that might have gotten on it off."
- "Sometimes, baby spiders fall from the ceiling. Don't mind them, though."
- "The floor is not supposed to be black, <name> realised it is moving slowly."
- As mentioned in her encyclopedia entry, the employees might still be alive in the cocoons, much like how most spiders wrap their prey in silk to save them for later. In this case, the prey is for her spiderlings.
- Spider Bud's alternate name, 'Brood Mother, is used in one of the encyclopedia entries.
- Its first letter in the subject number classify it as 'Trauma'. This Abnormality may represent the common fear of spiders, or arachnophobia.