"The girl begged in tears. "Mister, please cut off my feet..."
- Red Shoes
"I told you, I can't give them to you."
- Possessed employee
The Red Shoes (O-04-08) are a pair of shiny red high-heels. They sit upon a lilac pillow atop a white podium. The shoes seem to have abnormal gloss despite their age. It is implied that the shoes have teeth hidden in their confines, which bite into skin with extraordinary strength when put on a foot, with so much force that the shoes are irremovable through physical force alone.
Its ability can trigger when an employee enters its containment room with Temperance Level 2 or lower. At the end of the work, the employee will be possessed by the shoes, changing their appearance and replacing their weapon with a red axe, along increasing their own Health. Afterwards, the employee will leave the containment room and roam the facility, attacking employees and Abnormalities. The Abnormality uses the defenses of the current armor that the possessed employee is wearing. When killing another employee, the possessed agent will continue with a few more attacks to the corpse and heal itself by an small amount with each hit.
In case finishing a work with a result of Normal or Bad, there is a chance that Red Shoes' Qliphoth counter to be reduced and possess a random Temperance level 2 or lower employee in the facility, priority to the department where it is; to attract them to its containment room and force them to wear the shoes. The possession is visible by a pink cloud around the head of the employee.
Possesed employee can not be saved and have to be killed. Nevertheless, hypnotized empoyee can be saved if clicked on multiple times while employee is on the way to shoes containment chamber. But if one reaches chamber and equips the shoes, there is no saving this employee.
The shoes are implied and suggested to be the same shoes from The Red Shoes.
Red Shoes responds to the four works in order of best to worst: Instinct, Insight, Attachment, and Repression.
Like all Abnormalities, its energy output is determined by the number of PE Boxes (Positive Enkephalin boxes) at the end of the interaction.
Red Shoes's emotional state is divided into 3 sections, bad, normal, and good. Completing 0-7 E Boxes will cause it to feel distressed, completing 8-11 will cause it to feel normal, and 12-16 will make its mood result happy. Its usual waiting time after a task is around 10 seconds. Its Max Work Count is 3 works and its Qliphoth counter is 1.
Unlockable Information/Upgrades Edit
Basic (Cost: 16 PE Boxes)
Unlocks and shows the name of the Abnormality, subject classification, Risk Level (HE), portrait, Damage Type (Red 4 - 6), the amount of E-Boxes (16), emotional state and their Qliphoth counter.
Instinct/Insight/Attachment/Repression List of Field Works (Cost: 5 PE Boxes)
Unlocks the percentage level list to the respective work.
List of Managerial Works 1/2/3/4/5 (Cost: 6 PE Boxes)
- "List of Managerial Works 1"
- "When employee <name> went into Red Shoes's containment room, <name> was grasped with madness. We should be careful not to send in employees with temperance below level 2 since the abnormality seems to remember its previous owner."
- "List of Managerial Works 2"
- "When the result of the work was normal, Red Shoes's Qliphoth counter has decreased with a normal probability."
- "List of Managerial Works 3"
- "When the work result was bad, Red Shoes's Qliphoth counter has decreased with a high probability."
- "List of Managerial Works 4"
- "When Red Shoes's counter reaches zero, low-temperance employees occasionally went into Red Shoe's containment room as if he/she was being possessed by something."
- "List of Managerial Works 5"
- "It was confirmed that employees who got possessed by Red Shoes comes back to normal after continuous attempts of making conversations with them."
Quick Defense (Cost: 16 PE Boxes)
Information if the Abnormality can escape or not. Even when is not classified as an Abnormality which can escape by itself but indirectly, the defense that it uses are the ones of the possessed employee instead.
Observation Level Edit
Level 1 (1 Section unlocked): Working Success Rate +4%
Level 2 (2 Sections unlocked): Work Speed Rate +4
Unlocks an E.G.O. Trait, which increase the HP by 6 points, decrease the success rate of work and work speed by 10 points and increase the attack speed by 10 points. Has the appearance of a red accessory and has a 3% of being equipped to the employee after finishing a work with the Abnormality.
Level 3 (3 Sections unlocked): Working Success Rate +4%
Unlocks the Weapon and Armor 'Bloody Desire'.
Level 4 (All details unlocked): Work Speed Rate +4
- "The creature is in the form of a pair of red shoes suited for elegant women. Where and how it was made is undetermined but guessing from the design, it was not made recently."
- "In only females, the shoes cause a strong desire to 'try it on'. When a woman 'wears' the Abnormality, first, you may notice a strange change in their expression."
- "Secondly, the woman will refuse to take the shoes off, and will fulfill all subconscious desires. If anyone tries to take off the shoes or gets in her way, the shoes may take control of its host to kill that person who is in the way."
- "There is no way to determine if the host's desires are involved in these actions but its id (as defined by Freud) is represented through an increase in sexual desire and aggression."
- "Presently, it has been confirmed that it was all females that had been attracted to the Red Shoes. Therefore, it is advisable to place male employees, if possible. Beware that when the encephalin of an Abnormality becomes reduced, it could affect the female employees surrounding it."
- "Counseling records #043_3: Employee F1230: <Redacted> She was a nice person. She was like... Like an idol. She always used to say things like how we should be proud to do the work we are doing. She could handle all kinds of Abnormalitys. But going into that room was the biggest mistake. We thought, what could a pair of shoes possibly do? Then she was wearing those shoes while laughing that strange laugh. That sound... That laugh... It was strange... It wasn't a laugh, it was... (Omitted)"
- "When I came to, there was blood all around me. The click-clack of the dreaded shoes filled the hall and I closed my eyes to play dead. I had seen that a friend's head was rolling around somewhere. When the shoes clacked toward me and walked past me, I uh, I fainted again. (Omitted)"
- "I heard they had to amputate the leg, because the creature wouldn't let go. Nobody saw her again but the old-timers probably remember the incident well."
- "<Interview Log X3-39> We received a report that employee F4002 is wandering through the corridors after being charmed by the Red Shoes. Following the report, we immediately commanded employee F4002 to seize her. She was a skilled managerial employee with a lot of experiences with capturing. Thus, no-one expected any danger in capturing one female employee. But it took longer than the time predicted and when another employee went in to find her, employee F4002 was unconscious with her ankle chopped off and employee F4002 was found taking the shoes off the dismembered foot with a glare in her eyes."
Flavour Text Edit
- "What seems to be tooth inside of Red Shoes must be a delusion."
- "The girl pleaded while crying, "Mister, please cut my leg off...""
- "<Name> passes by the evenly sorted out Red Shoes and work."
- "Heels of Red Shoes is worn down, as if representing many incidents happened."
- "<Name> stops the work in between and glimpse back at the Red Shoes."
- "Red Shoes is not an organism, but its unique atmosphere recalls old tragedy."
- "Employee <name> has managed to finish <task> on Red Shoes. Red Shoes notices the latent desires of employee <name>."
- "Strong urge and temptation to possess is created by Red Shoes especially to females."
- "Red Shoes is standing still, staring at the work of <name>."
- "Weighing upon one's mind, <name> is checking the Red Shoes, unable to focus on work."
- "Employee <name> has finished Cleanliness on Red Shoes. It puts exceptional gloss on Red Shoes."
- "<Name> is diligently looking somewhere else, not trying to look at Red Shoes."
- "Red Shoes is in disorder as if someone just took it off."
- "Red Shoes' red enamel leather is silently glittering from sunshine."
- Red Shoes is a reference to the somewhat religious fairy tale of the same name: The Red Shoes, where a girl obsessed with her red shoes bought by her adoptive mother, ends up under a 'curse' where she is forced to dance as long she wears the shoes. At some point in the tale, the girl finds an executioner and asks to him to cut her feet off. After that, the red shoes continue to dance with her amputated feet still in them. Eventually, the girl is granted leave to heaven by a merciful angel.
- The ability of Red Shoes, 'Dancing to the Grave' is also a nod to the fairy tale.
- At one point, it is mentioned that the shoes keep running in the facility, which is a definite reference to the end of the cautionary tale.
- The ability of Red Shoes, 'Dancing to the Grave' is also a nod to the fairy tale.
- There is a bug in Interview Log X3-39, where both employees have mistakenly been assigned the same number.