"Every Abnormality may not have [a] reason to exist, but have [has an] intention to exist."
- Singing Machine's Flavour TextAbnormalities are, as their name suggests, various abnormalities found in the world that cannot be explained by conventional means or modern day science, while also giving off irregular amounts of power. They are given classification via letters and numbers, while also being given nicknames akin to their appearances and abilities.
Various Abnormalities are sent to Lobotomy Corporation in order to be studied and used for power supplication of the facility as well as other unexplained uses of said power. They range on a danger scale, and their effects can be classed into color-based types.
The entities or Abnormalities which can't be contained in containment rooms and appear around the facility, are called Ordeals. These creatures usually appear as part of random events during the Qliphoth Meltdowns.
Basic Information Edit
The Abnormalities possess different aspects in-game, from information to effects. This section will explain the basics of them and most features that the Abnormalities share.
Containment: They are contained in 'Containment Units', zones where the Abnormalities reside at the start of the day and in passive states. The containment rooms are all the same to each other. The Abnormalities contained are divided into the different departments available, usually housing 4 to 8 Abnormalities per Department in their units. At the start of most days, the player must choose one Abnormality to add to their facility, usually from a selection of 3.
The Containment Units display at the top the name of the Abnormality and the Qliphoth Counter, initially displayed as (?), at the top left their Risk Level and amount of PE-Boxes collected, and at the left side a bar that fills during works are performed, displaying the amount of PE and NE-Boxes produced. At the middle is the Abnormality, where the player can assign works by clicking on the room.
Works and Interactions: The main interaction with the Abnormalities are by sending agents to their containment rooms to perform one of the four works available: Instinct, Insight, Attachment and Repression. Depending of the work preference and other stats, the Abnormality will produce an amount of E-Boxes. PE-Boxes are positive energy that will be collected at the end of the task and added to the Energy Quota, and NE-Boxes are negative energy that is discarded as a 'fail work', which will also damage the employee working with the Abnormality.
Information Section: Any PE-Boxes collected at the end of the task will be added to the respective Abnormality, beside of energy; to be used as 'points' to unlock information of that Abnormality and equipment. The PE-Boxes of the Abnormality are saved permanently over days and new games, as well any information unlocked. New Abnormalities don't possess any information unlocked and only their Subject Number will be displayed for their name. To access their Information Tab, the player must click on the name of the Abnormality while in the Management Phase or in their portrait while in the Deployment Phase.
There are 4 sections of information, each one unlockable by spending PE-Boxes for their cost. Depending of the Risk Level, the cost of the sections will change. The sections are:
- Basic Information: Unlock the basic info of the Abnormality, including Name, Portrait, Subject Number, Risk Level, E-Boxes, Range of Mental Results, Attack Damage and Damage Type. It will change the current name of the Abnormality's containment unit and display its Qliphoth Counter, if it has any.
- Managerial Works: Helpful notes that inform about the effects and 'rules' to handle the Abnormality. This can be information about the Qliphoth Counter, work preferences, harmful effects, breaching abilities and others. There can be multiple Managerial Works to unlock, each one displaying different information of the Abnormality.
- Work Preferences/Favor: A list of 4 minor sections that unlock the overall preferences of the respective work, showing the success chance for the each 5 level of that work, depending of the stat level of the employee performing that work. When selecting an employee to perform a work on an Abnormality, the overall success chance of the work will be classified as 'Unknown.'
- Escape Information: Display the Qliphoth Counter, its initial count or with an 'X' if not using it; and the defenses of the Abnormality if is able to breach, escaping from their containment and needed to be re-contained by 'Suppression Work', sending employees to attack the Abnormality until its HP drops to 0. The defenses show their vulnerability against the 4 types of damage: WHITE, RED, BLACK and PALE.
When unlocking completely one of the sections, it will grant an Observation Level, up to 4 levels. Each level can grant an increase of Success Chance or Work Speed, depending of the Abnormality. Unlocking Observation Levels also add Entries to the Abnormality's Story, which can be access at the top left of the information tab of the Abnormality. The Story Tab cover entries about descriptions, explanation of effects, related events, interviews and other information linked to said Abnormality.
Qliphoth Counter and Anomalous Effects: Abnormalities are, of course, entities that possess unusual abilities that can harm of benefit employees and/or the facility. This vary from simple healing to breaching containment. A way to measure the triggering of a effect is via their Qliphoth Counter, which when reaching a certain number, usually 0; will trigger its ability. Most abilities will include the Abnormality breaching the containment unit. However, not all the Abnormalities use the Qliphoth Counter to use their abilities. The Qliphoth Counter not in use are marked with a 'X' instead a number. Other ways that their abilities might trigger can be by Work Results, PE-Boxes collected, stat levels and work performed. Breaching Abnormalities need to be suppressed to be returned to their containment units.
Tool Abnormalities Edit
Tool Abnormalities are other type of Abnormalities that don't focus in how to manage but in how to use. These Abnormalities, unlike the Abnormalities, are added to the facility each fourth day of the 6 days. The tools are divided into 3 types: Single Use, Continuous Use and Mounted/Equip Use. The tools don't possess work preferences but a single work to use them.
Depending of their type, their Observation Level and the way to get information about it is different. Depending of the number of use or the time while been used, it unlocks 'Logs and Methods' and Basic Information. The main information unlocks its name, portrait, subject number and tool type. Logs unlock entries and story related information and the Methods unlocking information of the Abnormality, effects and ways to use it.
Tools will give good effects, often for some costs, being healing, energy production or stat boost. Equipped tools will grant their effects to the agent equipping it and can be returned after being equipped, and if the agent equipped with a tool dies, the tool will be returned to the containment unit.
Classification Code Edit
Their details are encoded in their classification, following the given order:
The first letter classifies its origin (Fairy Tale, Trauma, Original), the second number classifies its type (1 for humanoid, 2 for animal, 3 for religious, 4 for inanimate object, 5 for machine or artifact, 6 for abstraction or amalgamation, 9 for tool), the third number classifies the generation order (unconfirmed) or code, and the last letter (Only for Legacy) is for the risk level classification (Z for ZAYIN, T for TETH, and so on). In effect, a player knowing this can get a huge jumpstart on information about the abnormality.
They are notably similar, and inspired, by the various Special Containment Procedure objects from the SCP Foundation.
List of Released AbnormalitiesEdit
A list of unreleased abnormalities can be found here.
- Each of the damage types is the same color of one of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse.
- WHITE for the white horse of Conquest.
- RED for the red horse of War.
- BLACK for the black horse of Famine.
- PALE for the pale horse of Death.